Friday, July 16, 2010

Charlie Poole

I was in Walmart the other night killing time by having a hot drink and a muffin when an old man asked if he could share my table. Sharing tables with strangers is secretly something I wish I could do more of so I say "sure". He is an old man who "likes to talk" he self identifies and asks if I had figured that out yet. I say " if I hadnt already, I would soon". He looks a bit confused and continues on the conversation. He looks at me with a gleam in his eye and tells me about his younger days in Sheshelt which of course were his glory days. He's got a wife who "works for Walmart too". ..... I dont actually work for Walmart sir. His wife doesnt mind that he gives out his number he says and hands me a card with his name on it and tells me to hang up if she answers. It doubles as a business card for home made fishing lures and I cant help wondering why he is wasting his effort trying to sell me fishing lures. He says "I cant remember what I was saying" and goes on to explain how he is on oxygen and etc...I can imagine what he imagines us being on par with in this fictitional romance? he's not even able to maintain alertness in a conversation. As I write this I remember my favorite Nancy Drew quote. "Old men who are looking at middle age through a rearview mirror should not attempt to keep pace with lithe younger women". Ah Charlie Poole. weird lonely old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment